I suggest you ...

64-bit Aegisub

I dabble with Aegisub logo and banner design and some of my automations (color gradient in particular) sometimes take up more than 4GB memory according to Task Manager when calculating and rendering up to several thousand lines at once. Aegisub then semi-crashes once it hits some memory 'limit', not completely crashing by shutting itself down but by giving me an error message that "it is unable to seek the video, the source is either incomplete or corrupt" and any further changes to the script afterwards will give the same error message.

The catch -- I use either a loaded ImageSource AVS script to overlay it all on one background picture, or load a blank dummy video with one frame only, neither of which can possibly be 'corrupted or incomplete.'

I have 16GB memory installed on an i7, and it's nowhere near that amount even when Aegisub crashes, so it's definitely not due to hardware limitations. I work around this in the meantime by lowering the resolution of both the script and the background picture, though of course I would love to have my overlay in high resolution as it is much more versatile and easier to work with, and of course it simply looks better.

I realize that there are other programs out there I could design with, but for me the simplicity of the code is much faster than drawing from scratch using a drawing tablet+Photoshop (which is out of budget for me anyways) for a non-artist like me -- it allows me to make extremely accurate adjustments to certain elements, and easily fix mistakes whenever they pop up.

As I most likely am only one of a handful of people with this particular problem, I can suggest other possible advantages to ordinary users with a x64 build of Aegisub, such as faster loading and seeking of audio and video, extra responsiveness especially when working with lines that have lots of \clips or \blurs or \alphas or \p's or \t's, the ability to load entire uncompressed video and audio files, and other such improvements. x64 builds of vsfilter, libass(i think), avisynth, directshowsource and FFMS dll's are already out there, so wouldn't this be fairly easy to implement? Or would it require an entire rewrite of the source code?

Scripts and screenshots outlining this problem can be provided upon request.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MarshMallowCatMarshMallowCat shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MarshMallowCatMarshMallowCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@nielsm Thanks for the reply.

Is there a beta page where I can find and test out this 64-bit compilation? I currently comment my intermediate dialogue lines so I'm not swamped by rendering time when working on separate parts of the script. I could finish my script in 32-bit (without video loaded so it won't crash even at high resolutions), and then do the final rendering in the 64-bit compilation, since I don't care how long or slow the final rendering time takes -- as long as it doesn't crash, or even reach my 16gb memory limit, god forbid ;)

If not, then thanks anyways, I'll hold out for better VSfilter code to be released by its devs along with everyone else.

• nielsmAdminnielsm (Admin, Aegisub) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aegisub does compile as 64 bit and we do have video and audio providers and subtitle rendering for 64 bit, but overall, it's extremely slow, mainly due to VSFilter depending on a bunch of assembly code for critical speed, and that hasn't been ported (or at least not well). It works, it's just horribly slow.

Feedback and Knowledge Base